Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a subject that tends to be all over the place. Do this! Don’t do that! The biggest problem is just about the time you think you’re doing all the right steps to please the Google Gods, they change the rules. It can be overwhelming if you’re not in a position where you breathe this kind of nerdy nonsense. In the end, you really just need to focus on a few things. Here are 6 SEO tips to keep in mind as you write your blog posts or site pages:
- The title of your post is one of the most important parts of your website as far as optimizing goes. Your title should consist of fewer than 70 characters and the keywords should be front heavy vs. at the end of the title.
- Optimizing your images is also one of the most important keys to a SEO winning site. Be sure that your images are optimally sized for a fast load time. Also be sure to fill out the ‘Alt Tag’ and ‘Title’ fields with keywords.
- You should be using WordPress as your software platform. Then be sure to use a good SEO plugin. We use WP SEO by Yoast.
- Make sure you strategically name your pages with keywords.
Gallery – bad
Projects/Experience/Clients – good
- Be sure to have a sitemap for your website so Google has complete details of the pages within your site. (XML Sitemap plugin is a good one)
- Internal linking is just as valuable as external linking. Be sure to link as least a couple of posts within your site.
This list should help you focus on what is important (as far as Google is considered). It can be so much more strategic and we would be happy to talk it over with you if you’re interested. It’s our job to stay on top of the ongoing changes surrounding SEO, so you can focus on what makes you profitable.
Please feel free to contact us with questions.