Humanizing your digital voice is a must now days. Long gone are the companies that churn and burn through their sales leads on a great product alone. Customers want a relationship with their providers and if you don’t give that to them, your competitor will be happy to step in and take them. It’s about showing that potential client that you care about their needs and they are important to you. They need to feel it, hear it, and see it.
Let’s talk about some basic steps to keep in mind as you approach this concept with your company:
1. Talk WITH your customers; not AT them.
There are enough companies that annoy their audience online, on tv and on radio. Don’t be that company. Megaphone marketing doesn’t build relationships. You can’t be a solution provider if you’re too busy talking. Relationships are formed through conversations.
2. Stop forcing your language onto your customers.
Your followers are not a part of your corporate team so why talk to them as if they are? Speak the language they use and understand. Throwing out acronyms may make you feel like you know your product, but you’ve lost your customer. This also includes how you talk to your audience. Arrogance has no place in your digital space. Word of mouth comes from both a great product and a humble and passionate team.
3. Research your approach.
There are so many approaches to reaching your audience digitally. You need to find the strategy that works best for your target audience and future customers. Here a few things to keep in mind while researching your strategy:
- How successful companies are doing it – If they have a proven record, glean from their experience and apply it to your objectives.
- One size does not fit all – Keep in mind that just because “Joe Blow” is on every digital platform does not mean that it is applicable for your situation.
- Give your exec’s their own voice – With a strong social media policy in place, having your top executives online boosts your company’s presence and influence.
- Show us real people…not just logos – Even if you are a business-to-business ran company, you’re reaching humans. Help them relate to you by giving them a face to look at.
4. Don’t give lip service.
If you say you are all about customer service, then you have a responsibility to go above and beyond in service. Don’t just publicly thank the big dogs…every customer is a gift. Treat them as such.
5. Be the storytellers.
Talking about your brand through storytelling is a great way to connect with your audience emotionally. Those stories linger with them as they consider your company as a resource. Share photos and videos of your team. It’s more meaningful if they have a face to put with a name.
By keeping these foundational ideas at the forefront of your digital strategy, it will help you keep the human factor as part of your brand’s outreach.
Photo Credit: Alex Dram